OpenOffice.org - interesting articles

Users are brainwashed into thinking they need MS Office. Yeah some do but many absolutely do not.

I put together a (better than average) system for a client and I placed OpenOffice2 on the system because I’m not being sarcastic here... I know what type of documents they create so I knew the special word processing feature they require is word-wrap. :-)

I also make sure there are other useful open source and free NON-Spyware items which mimic and exceed the trial-ware that normally comes bundled on the low end systems. And I take the extra time to make sure the common codecs are installed so they don’t run into problems trying to play videos etc. All in all I put a bit of effort into making sure the hardware and software equates to a really nice system within their price range.

His secretary called me wailing about the fact MS Office wasn’t installed. I explained that OpenOffice is just as capable and more capable in many areas.

She insisted they need MS Office. She wouldn’t even try OpenOffice.

I looked up the best price I could find online and offered to install MS office for them when if came in.

In a disturbed tone she said her computer at home came with MS Office as though I was ripping them off.

I explained that if her computer came with MS Office she paid for it as an additional cost hidden in the price of the computer.

She acted pissed and said her friend has a copy of MS Office she can install for free.

I had to bite my tongue.

I run into this all the time with MS products where there is a nearly equivalent or better free and/or open source alternative.

Had I known of these 2 articles at the time I could have pointer her to them though it’s likely she wouldn’t even read them and even if she did, I seriously doubt (no matter how convincing the articles are) that she would even consider anything other than MS Office.

http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magazine/technical/replaceframewithwriter.html

The following is about an old version of OOo but nevertheless it’s a good read.

http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magazine/technical/openofficewriter.html

Anyone else know of any good Open Office articles?