Laptop X & Projector confusion

Over the weekend I did a presentation using my FC6 Acer laptop. I had a
nasty surprise when I booted up and it failed to go into X! Repeatedly. On
this laptop I usually need to have the exterior monitor/projector plugged
in at boot up time to get the video out to be turned on, and so this is
what I had done.

As a final step before moving the presentation to the windows side of the
laptop I tried booting without the projector plugged in. It worked fine, I
was able to then connect the video cable and move on ahead the
presentation. Luckily I was early and there was no audience, so I had a
fairly private crummy 10 minutes in working this out.

So, was the projector reporting something back to the kernel or X? When
the projector was plugged in before starting X, I could not even run the
display configuration tool. It reported that it failed on card0 and card1.
There is only one card. Hmmm.

Erich