Re: Raid-5 with SATA drives under Linux

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 03:06:15PM -0500, Tim Grossner wrote:
> Err..sorry, let me rephrase: Any issues of stability/performance/etc? A
> friend of mine is going to build a file mission critical server for a small
> business, and we are exploring the option of SATA vs SCSI raid.

SCSI is just too expensive to even think about for small systems, IMHO.

Software RAID works fine on Linux, although I tend to try to use
hardware RAID (usually on a 3ware controller) if at all possible.

That said, RAID 5 sucks for both performance and reliability.  The only
reason to use RAID 5 is for capacity, and for that I'd still prefer RAID
6 (for a little extra reliability).  On smaller systems, RAID 1 or RAID
1+0 are your best bet.

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.