Re: CentOS 5 or Ubuntu 6.06 for remote desktop?

i.org
> Subject: Re: CentOS 5 or Ubuntu 6.06 for remote desktop?
>

> Steve,
> Do you or anyone else know of a good easy backup tool
> to where I could ssh into the remote box and backup
> the whole HD and then easily extract that onto an
> identical machine here to test?
> Derek

I've made backups of system with everything on one partition by
booting up knoppix on the machine I wan't
to copy to, partition the hard drive, make the file systems,
mount the file system (on /mnt/mnt), cd to the file system
(cd /mnt), the copy everything over except /proc, /sys, and
/tmp.

ssh root@<source machine> "tar -zpcO / --exclude /proc --exclude /sys --exclude /tmp" | tar -zpxv

Then
mkdir -m=777 tmp
mkdir proc sys

If you have multiple partitions you could do something similar for
all fo the partitions.  If you already have a system installed,
you wouldn't need to knoppix.

Mark