Linux desktop/Microsoft domain

I am exploring the possibility of moving from Windows desktops to a Linux/Mac + Microsoft Terminal Server environment.

I am interested in hearing from you if you:
1. Have deployed Linux desktops to non-technical users in a corporate environment.

2. Know of a case study/white paper of a company moving this way.

At this point I am wanting to identify the challenges to such a move.

Gory details (for those who care to read further)

* Config I am currently exploring:
- Ubuntu LTS (Several of our servers are RH-based, but the 5 yr RHEL/CentOS life cycle is just too long and  Fedora is just too short.
- Strip down Ubuntu (no 3D effects, no extra programs)
- Use Ubuntu workstation for Web browsing, Zimbra groupware, accessing databases via RDP session to a terminal server, etc.)
- Authenticate to Active Directory upon sign on (currently testing LikeWise) for access to Samba shares.
- Open Office on the workstation so people will become familiar with Open Office as they open files that are e-mailed to them.
- On the Microsoft Terminal server, users would be able to run their databases and Microsoft Office (some components are needed for reports out of the databases).
- We are even looking at going green at the desktop (saving money on hardware and electricity) by deploying Atom-based desktops.
- For the users that need proprietary software (like Adobe) for multimedia projects, we are looking at deploying a Mac instead of the Ubuntu workstation.  Obviously these computers would face many of the same challenges for integration.

Glenn