Re: Keyboard Timelogger

Do you log in and log out generally, or leave an X session open all the
time?  If you're usually logging and and out, you could do this with a
PAM module in the session part of the stack.  The use of pam_env and
pam_exec with some simple shell scripting could do something which
starts / stops a timer daemon.

Or you could put something in your .bashrc and .bash_logout if you use
bash - I'm thinking something like increment a counter file on login,
decrement the counter file on logout, and have a cron job running every
minute / 5 minutes which increments an n*interval counter file named
based on the date if the counter's greater than 0 (indicating a
logged-in shell).

Or use utmp / w and increment the "someone was logged in" file if your
username appears in the w output.

Or get one of those lawyer / chess timer things on your desk, and hit
the apropriate button when you start / stop working on the machine. ;)

--Danny