Re: Electronics Projects and PC Interfacing

mattkotys@gmail.com wrote:

> Tim, I will order an Arduino kit when my wife isn't looking.  I
> already have a PICkit2 and several breadboards, misc ICs, ... so I
> can play with those throughout the holidays, but Make magazine and
> others have certainly sold me on that platform.  The Morse decoder
> seems like a formidable challenge - maybe just the right project for
> a GPL debut.  I've never published any software before, and eager to
> get my feet wet.  I'll let LUCI know about my progress.

A nice benefit of the Arduino gear in addition to all the examples
available is that it's development environment is hosted on all three
major platforms as is a similar environment called "Processing" which
makes it quite easy to write GUI apps for Linux, Windows, or Mac. They
have quite a few examples of things that talk with Arduino boards.

If you already have a solderless breadboard you can easily clone an
Arduino right on the board. You can get an Atmel ATMega328 and a 16 MHz
crystal from the sources I mentioned that already has the Arduino
bootloader burned into it. You can use a serial interface instead of USB
and get started for about $10-$12 instead of $30. The ATMega part has a
UART built in and I can point you to ways to fake the RS232 voltage
levels that work very well for pennies.

Tim
Springfield, IL