MP3 recoding problems

I have a problem with my method of recoding MP3's.

What I'm doing is using mplayer to stream a random selection of MP3's,
with altered speed to a named pipe.

Then I am cat'ing that pipe into lame and recoding a single cohesive MP3.

# mplayer -loop 0 -shuffle -speed .2 random_stuff/*mp3

# cat audiodump.wav | lame -q7 - out.mp3

(in two separate terminals)

My problems are:

1. I have to keep the quality setting of lame raised, otherwise when
mplayer reaches the end of one sample, lame finishes before the next
sample starts and the whole process stops.

2. I have to manually stop the process by using ls and checking the output
file size.

What I want to be able to do is lower the quality and bitrate of the
encoding, so it runs a lot faster, and takes up less space, yet continues
to run between mplayer swapping samples.

Also be able to stop the encoding and move on when either the file size
reaches a specified point, say 50MB. Or go by play length and have the
encoding stop when the output MP3 reaches a specified length, say an
hour. Whichever is easiest to code.

h.