Weird Postfix behaviour

I have postfix configured to use ldap

# LDAP STUFF
#
virtual_alias_domains = mydomain.com, mailserver.mydomain.com,
mailserver.cc.mydomain.com, roger.mydomain.com, roger.cc.mydomain.com,
ernest.mydomain.com, ernest.cc.mydomain.com
virtual_alias_maps = ldap:ldapsource
ldapsource_server_host = localhost
ldapsource_search_base = dc=email,dc=mydomain,dc=com
ldapsource_query_filter = (&(uid=%s))
ldapsource_result_attribute = MailDrop
ldapsource_timeout = 20

users at @mydomain.com have an LDAP entry that resolves user@mydomain.com
to user@<backend-machine>.mydomain.com, as do users on ernest and roger.

What I'm finding from my LDAP logs is once postfix has looked up the user
and got the response, it then looks up just the domain part again, so it
does a search for uid=frank@mydomain.com and gets
frank@frank-machine.mydomain.com it then searches for
uid=@frank-machine.mydomain.com

frank-machine is not listed as a virtual alias, so why is it looking?

anyone experienced this?