Onboard Sound Issue

This has bugged me on my last machine, and now my new machine has the same
issue.

They both have front and rear audio outs, and in both cases only the front
output would work, also the new machine has a built in speaker, that seems
linked to the front port, but won't shut off if I insert a pair of
headphones.

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio
Controller

is what it identifies as, and I'm running Debian. I've tried selecting
each device in Audacity for playback, with the same results, it either
comes thru the front, or refuses to playback.

h.