Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 12:06:27 PST
From: Mike Gatton <jorj1@hotmail.com>
Subject: Need some Help

Was at last meeting (Nov), think I am a little over my head.

Am trying to get Linux to work on a PC at work... Several Problems...
Need to know where to look and what commands to use...

Getting "X" to work.
    Doesn't Have my video card listed,
    can't find one that will work.
    Documentation says it is recognized, but no luck.
    Video card is "SiS 6326" AGP 3D w/8MB RAM
    Also, "X" doesn't seem to be able to use my mouse.
        Standard, three button serial, generic.

Getting Network Card to work.
    Won't detect the card.
    can't seem to force it to access it.
    Documentation says it is recognized, but not for me!
    Also is a 'loadable module' for my card installed on HD,
        but when I attempt to load it (verbose) it indicates
        that all is ok until the last line which says that it
        'failed to load'
    Card is "3COM FastEtherLink XL" Model 3C905B-TX (PCI Card)
    This card works under Windoze when I boot from that partition.
    the DOS setup program for this card indicates that it uses the
    following config:
          IRQ: 11
          IO Address: DC80h - DCBFh
    I have shut off the autodetect for speed (as recomended in the
HOWTO)

Getting Modem to work.
    This just seems to fail.
    I haven't spent a lot of time trying on this one since I want
    to use the programs under "X" with the modem, and "X" aint working

The computer is:
    Pentium/266MHZ
    3GB HD (390MB DOS/WINDOWS) (2GB Linux) (85MB Linux Swapp)
    Modem is generic Hayes Compatible 33.6Mb
    Display is TATUNG CM14SBS, not in list,
         selected 31.5, 50-70HZ Refresh for "X".

I think that most of these problems are due to how green I am in the
Linux environment, however I would appreciate some help or this message
being forwarded to someone that could be of assistance.

thanks, Al, 217/792-9104 Evenings, 217/792-5001 X 135 work.