Re: Cron probs.

mike packard wrote:

> How does one get cron to "activate" one's jobs when not root?  I have
> tried editing crontab via 'crontab -e' and from Linuxconf.  I don't get
> any errors, the jobs just don't happen.  I'm running RedHat 5.1, in case
> that matters to anyone.

That's a curious one.

First, check that cron is running (yes, I know).  Also, check your E-mail;
cron mails error reports to the user.  Also, check that the format is
correct.  Note that /etc/crontab inserts an extra field (the username) into
the standard crontab line just before the command line of the command to
execute; you shouldn't have that for user crontabs.  "man 5 crontab" should
tell you everything you need to know.

If all those things are handled properly, the new crontab should be used
immediately.  If not, try stopping and restarting cron.