HP OpenView on Linux

Well, i just found out that openview is coming to linux. I think that is
good news, but i doubt that hp will open up the source for OV anytime
soon.
On that note, does anyone out there have any suggestions for some network
managment software that will run on linux?

I am really looking for something that will just maybe ping specific ip
addresses, and issue a page, or email when it doesnt receive a response.
Nothing to sophisticated, but all suggestions are appreciated.

cjm