Distro's that dont come with proper lib's

So...Anyone out there have a sugestion for me?

I have been running Slackware for at least a year and a half. Anymore, it
seems like, if I want to add/compile a program (such as x11amp) I have to
first download such and such library. Then uppon trying to compile said
library, it fails due to not having some other god-forsaken library. This
dominoes on and on till finally I have to got back to an old version of the
software just to get some functionality.

My question is this...Is there a distro out there that is easy to keep up
the library library, without f'ing up the whole thing? Plus I want to be
able to add software without worrying about about RPM's placing things where
i dont know!

Folks, it seems to me like linux is, unfortunately, splintering up so much
that interoperability is gonna soon be a thing of the past.

Tim Grossner
Systems Engineer
CityScape Communications