Re: root password recovery?

Charles,

> How do you make a boot floppy if you didnt choose that option during
> setup?

Other people have mentioned how to boot the kernel on your hard drive
using a boot disk. (ie, "read the Bootdisk HOWTO"). That's fine for an
otherwise healthy system; however, for the purpose of changing your root
password, you DON'T want to boot the kernel on your hard drive.
(Am I right here, people? Tell me if I'm not).

Instead, you want to boot a kernel off of a floppy, and then use a second
"root" disk to mount a ramdisk filesystem.  (ie, /bin and /lib and all
those directories are now contained within RAM). THEN, mount your hard
drive's Linux partition, and run /usr/bin/passwd , or if that doesn't
work, then just edit your "root" line in /etc/passwd so that you _don't_
have a password, and then reboot normally and run /usr/bin/passwd .

I know most of you don't like Slackware, but if you ftp to sunsite.unc.edu
and go to /pub/Linux/distributions/slackware , you can download "boot" and
"root" disks that will mount a RAM-based system which will allow you to do
this proceedure. The non-SCSI boot disk is called bare.i , and the root
disk is called "color"-something, I think.

And that oughta do ya.

==========

And, speaking of the distribution "wars", once your installation of Linux
is completed, don't you all agree that the programs themselves are 95% the
same? So, Christ! By the time you customize your system, configure
everything, download newer versions of programs, alter the source to fit
your needs, etc., don't you have your own distro by that point anyway? So
who cares about this Red Hat -vs- Slackware stuff?

-Jay

We give you the world.    | | __ \<_   _>/ __ \ / __>| |  | | __ \| |/ _/