reread /etc/passwd?

Okay, to extend this saga even further...
I have two redhat boxes that are not using shadowed passwords. I have
rsync between the two of them to pull /etc/passwd file from the primary to
the secondary, and overwrite the secondary's /etc/passwd file. This is all
well and good, and the files appear to be syncing correctly, however...

although the files are being synced up correctly the secondary server (the
one receiving the new /etc/passwd) acts as though it only knows about
users that were present before the syncing of the passwd file. rebooting
the server fixes the problem, almost as though the server just needed to
reread the passwd file.

someone suggested to me that this problem may have to do with how PAM
handles passwords on redhat. i am not very familiar with how PAM works at
all, or what would be causing the problem. two slackware boxes in the same
situation have no problems with recognizing users in the new passwd file,
so I suspecting that is native in redhat.

anyone know a definitive answer?
CJM