Re: C compiler

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 10:03:29PM -0600, C J Menzes wrote:

> checking for gcc... gcc checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.
>

> Hey everyone, I saw this before on a redhat system, but now, I have it on
> my debian machine.

Were they, perchance, the same physical machine?  gcc is very sensitive
to bad memory.

It looks like you're using a GNU autoconf script to configure the software.
Those scripts should create a "config.log" file, which may contain some
hints about what's going on.  Be especially on the lookout for "gcc caught
fatal signal 11" errors; that points to the aforementioned hardware
problem.

If you want, you can do a pristine install with the following steps:

  apt-get --purge remove gcc

Stop at this point before telling apt "yes" to anything.  Write down the
other packages apt reports that it is removing.  Then select "yes" and
watch apt remove everything.

Then, do this:

  apt-get install <packages> gcc

where <packages> is the list of packages you wrote down previously.
(You don't have to list gcc twice if it is in the list.)

By default, apt downloads all new packages from the Internet.  If you want
to avoid this and just install from the CD-ROM, look at the documentation
for "apt-cdrom".