c compiler cannot create executables (still).

Yes, its me again :)
Just when i thought that i could only get this cursed error on redhat, it
comes to haunt me on debian. As I recall the fix on the redhat system
involved adding an RPM like egcs-c++-1.1.2-24 or
compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1

I can't really recall. In either case, how does debian handle its
packages? I've done some searches through debian.org, and grep'd for
similar package names using dpkg, but I just don't see what I am missing.

Is there a way to upgrade an install to a full install?

cjm