Re: ldconfig errors on debian.

C MENZES wrote:

> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libpthread.so (No such file or
> directory), skipping
>
> What is ldconfig? I am getting this error and others like it pointing to
> other libs when installing several network related packages under debian.

Let's ask pyro:

sauer@pyro:/tmp > whatis ldconfig
ldconfig (8)         - determine run-time link bindings

That'd be the program that handles all those shared libraries, keeping
track of where they all are for programs that need to use them.  Check the
man page for a more lucid description than would be provided by me...

Your error is likely coming from a bad symlink.  Do an "ls -l
/usr/lib/libpthread.so" and see if the file it points to exists, and maybe
look at "ldd /usr/lib/libpthread.so" to verify that all it's libraries
exist too...

--Danny, who may be able to bring pyro, the dual alpha-cooled-celeron SuSE
6.3 box to Best Buy, but unfortunately isn't positive yet :(