darn bootdisk making

I'm having a problem with my bootdisk.

So, I've got a kernel that works loading a compressed filesystem from a
single floppy, and all the binaries I'll be needing (so far) are provided by
busybox.  Well, I also need ifconfig, route, and ipchains (which I suppose
will eventually require me to go to libc.so.6)... Of course, I also need a
shell.

This is where I'm having a problem.  I've got a dynamic ash linked against
libc.so.5 ('cause it's a lot smaller than 6).  It's in /bin/sh and there's a
hard link from /bin/ash to /bin/sh as well.  Busybox's  init works fine, but
it gives me a no-such-file-or-directory problem when it tries to run
/etc/init.d/rcS.  I'm presented with the same problem when it tries to run
/bin/sh (the default shell).  I'm guessing something is going awry with my
shell, 'cause the rcS script starts with #!/bin/sh too.  My first guess is
that I have a problem with my libraries, but I'm not sure.

I've run ldconfig -r /tmp/mount with the image mounted on /tmp/mount, and
/etc/ld.so.cache is being created (it looks right).  In the hopes that
someone will see what I'm missing, here's a list of the files on that image
(with empty dirs cut out). It's driving me mostly crazy trying to figure out
what's going on...

root@pyro:/tmp > ls -RFA /tmp/mount/
bin/   dev/   etc/   lib/   proc/  sbin/  var/

/tmp/mount/bin:
ash*       date@      gunzip@    kill@      nslookup@  sh*        true@
busybox*   dmesg@     gzip@      ls@        ping@      sleep@     tty@
cat@       false@     head@      more@      ps@        sort@      uname@
cp@        grep@      hostname@  mv@        pwd@       tail@      zcat@

/tmp/mount/dev:
console  kmem     null     tty      tty2     zero
fd0      mem      ram      tty1     tty3

/tmp/mount/etc:
init.d/      ld.so.cache

/tmp/mount/etc/init.d:
rc.dhcp*  rcS*

/tmp/mount/lib:
ld-linux.so.2*  ld.so*          libc.so.5

/tmp/mount/sbin:
dhcpcd.static*  ifconfig*       init@           route*          syslogd@

/tmp/mount/var/run:
utmp@

I don't see what the heck's missing here...  Grrr.
--Danny, who's bothered :)