Re: Broadband

Jordan Bettis said:
> I don't like cable because I feel that it will eventually be hosed when
> the mindless hoards attack it, and I don't like the security issues (I can
> get over that, but being on a network with my neighbors with data bus topo
> gives me the creeps, although none that I know of are intelligent enough
> to fish for packets even if they wanted to be 31337 h4x0r d00dz).

In all honesty, there is very little difference between the network
layout of cheap DSL providers and the cable providers.  The only real
difference is the delivery mechanism (phone line vs. cable).  The
whole reason why cheap DSL is cheap is that the bandwidth is
oversubscribed like mad, meaning you have the *exact* same problem
with "the mindless hoards" that you would with cable.

Oh, and if your boxes aren't behind a masq box or something, I don't
care what kind of service you have, you're just asking for problems.

> Anyhow, if cable is significantly cheaper or has better bandwith, I'll go
> with it. Can anyone here with cable give me their take on the service?

In Fairview Heights, DSL isn't available yet, and cable is just
starting to become available, so the bandwidth on cable *right now* is
incredible (something like 3-7 megabit downstream, nearly 1 upstream).
AT&T has an acceptable use policy that says you can't run a server,
but, other than that, they don't do any weird filtering or anything.
I'm actually quite impressed with it.

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month