Re: Perl one liner requested

Robert Threet said:
> What if you had, hypothetically, a Majordomo config
> file that had a bunch of text (50k) that contained
> many lines too long to be correctly parsed by
> Majordomo (seems to be a 70 character limit on lines).

Odd, I've never heard of such a limit.

> Would you:
>
> A. Write a Perl script to read in the lines in and
> write them out so that the lines over 70 had the
> proper slash at the end of the line to make it useable
> by Majordomo?

Probably.

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    $chars=69; # One less than 70, to allow for the backslash.

    while (<>)
    {
	chomp;
	while (length($_)>$chars)
	{
	    $space=rindex($_, " ", $chars);
	    $space=$chars if ($space<=0);
	    ($x,$y)=/^(.{$space})\s*(.*)$/;
	    print $x, "\\\n";
	    $_=$y;
	}
	print $_, "\n";
    }

Now that's completely, utterly untested code.  YMMV.

> or...
>
> B. Implement another well known (although unknown to
> me) solution to this rather common problem?

Check the Majordomo FAQ, but, like I said, I've never heard of such a
thing.

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month