Re: delegating in-addr.arpa.

charles@lunarmedia.net said:
> the block in question: 192.168.200 (changed to protect the innocent)
[...]
> can anyone tell me what exactly i am missing on this?
> do i need to create an aggregate like 8.216.in-addr.arpa and then delegate
> from there?

(So much for changing the block to protect the innocent.  ;)

Yes, *but* this is one of those times when people using your primary
nameserver as a recursive resolver will bite you in the ass.  If you
do that, and you don't own the entire block, then anyone using you as
a resolver will not be able to look up anything in that block (that
you aren't doing DNS for anyway).

If that's not a concern (in other words, if you've long since set your
nameserver to be non-recursive), then go for it.  Otherwise, just run
the following (modified appropriately, of course):

    perl -e 'for ($n=0;$n<256;$n++) { print "$n\tIN\tNS\tns.foo.bar\n" }' \
        >> /var/named/db.192.168.200

It's ugly, but it will work.

Another alternative would be to use a wildcard, but the O'Reilly book
seems to frown on that.  I'll admit that I'm not sure why, and I don't
have the book handy to check.  Perhaps someone else would care to
enlighten us...

(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.