Re: Ctrl-W woes

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 12:54:56PM -0500, Jay Link wrote:

> > Indeed, and to stop using the non-free Netscape when many of alternatives
> > exist
>
> I presume we're using free in the manner of "free speech"

Yeah, otherwise I'd have said "zero cost" or some equivalent so as not
to confuse the two. Of course, most people don't, so I can see how you
wouldn't immediately understand my intention there.

<http://www.asty.org/articles/20010702pine.html>
<http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-software.html> (section 4.10)
<http://packages.debian.org/stable/mail/pine4-src.html>

> Regardless, I have no interest
> in developing for Pico/Pine -- I just like to use them. So, Ctrl-W is
> second nature for me, and as a result (as I mentioned), I sometimes forget
> to use Ctrl-F to search when using Andreessen's folly.

Well, if you know they're not free and wish to use them anyhow, that's
your choice --but most people don't know that it's not free because of
an amazingly good snow job on the part of UW, which is why I feel a need
to point  out to people who are using those programs that they are,
in fact, non-free.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
Wherever there is modularity there is the potential for misunderstanding: