PGP, Pine and scripting

I want to encrypt a file and have a script send it to
another account.  I have PGP set up and it works well with
Pine if I interactively add the file as an attachment (a
MIME thing?).  If I simply type "mail rthreet@usi.edu <
file.pgp" it gets garbled (uuencoded?) and I cannot
decrypt.

So, "pine rthreet@usi.edu -attach file.pgp" would work
except it drops me into the editor (which doesn't lend
itself well to scripting).  Does anyone know if there is a
command line param to skip this?  Or, a better answer...