WVDIAL

I am attemting to set up my home network so any remote user can ssh into a
computer connected to a modem, make the computer dial by typing WVDIAL,
and use that machine as a gateway.

The way I am set up right now, immediately after rebooting the gateway
machine (to run level 3), I have to startx and then manually dial using
the red hat ppp dialer (in redhat 7.2), then disconnect, and logout.
After doing this, my plan works perfectly.   Remote users can connect and
disconnect at will using wvdial.

I was just curious as to why I am having to manually run the red hat ppp
dialer immediately after a reboot.  There must be a change that the red
hat dialer is making to the system.  This morning I forgot I had to
manually dial after the first start, and spent a half hour trying to
troubleshoot my network.

Just a topic for discussion.  It seems as though the red hat dialer itself
even uses wvdial in some way to connect to the internet.  the wvdial.conf
file is modified after changing the dialup configuration from Gnome, and
it appears that the Red Hat ppp dialer is using information from the
wvdial.conf file to dial the internet.

Thanks!

Ricky Bryce