booting redhat

For some reason, my redhat 7.2 install cd will get to the point after it
finds the interrupts for the ide channels, then hangs.  The hard drive
makes a click noise, then stops.  If I disconnect the hard drive, leaving
only the cd-roms, the boot process continues fine.  The hard drive is a
Fujitsu 4.3 GB model from a few years ago.  I've installed SuSE on this
machine just fine several times, and the SuSE 7.2 bootdisk's kernel has
no such problem.  I've moved the devices around so taht the hard drive
was master, slave, master via "cable select", and master on the secondary
channel - no change.

Any suggestions?  My darned obscure problems don't seem to show up in
cursory searches of my normal places...

The motherboard's an Asus SP97-V with the integrated video turned off
and an AMD K7-2/300 (the overclocking isn't the problem either, though
one would suspect it).

Thanks.
--Danny