help, mind lock, i'm running out of ideas fast

Paging all gurus, paging all gurus, I have this box and it has debian
woody on it.  The box is not doing anything in /proc (except it keeps
the routing table now) so when you do a ps or top or shutdown it just
sits and hangs.  I've recompiled to kernel 2.4.16 (latest 2.4 that will
take lids) because I thought it would help, nope, no luck.  I forced an
apt-get reinstall of base-files with no avail.  AFAIK proc is pretty
much a virtual part of the file system controlled by the kernel.  Any
help would be more than appreciated.  Even on google I'm not finding
much on how proc really works.  Thanks.

Bob T. Kat

 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more
expected..."