Re: grub vs. lilo

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 20:23, Marcelo Medici wrote:
> In a old server lilo.conf config, I used
>
>  append = "console=tty0 console=ttyS0"
>
> to send console output to both video card and serial. Can this be done
> with grub?

Yup.

First, to tell GRUB to use the terminal as its console, put the
following lines at the top of menu.lst:

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal serial

(That sets up ttyS0 as the console at speed 9600.  If you need to use
other ports or other speeds, change the "0" or "9600".)

Your menu.lst should also contain one or more kernel stanzas.  Add
"console=ttyS0" to the end of those to tell the kernel to use the serial
port as the console.

>  Since it is graphical in nature, will this work?

Yup.  The graphical boot screen is optional.

> If not, is
> there an easy manner of switching from using grub to using lilo as the
> boot control?

That depends on your system.  It should be as easy as installing a
"lilo" package, configuring lilo, and running "lilo" to install your
config.

But you probably don't want to do that.  GRUB is generally superior to
lilo.

--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>