Re: pppd + pam

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 17:49, Danny Sauer wrote:
> So, I need to set up a dial-in server with a pair of internal modems.
> I'm having a heck of a time finding out how to get pppd to either use
> PAM as the auth mechanism, or how to get it to talk to a freeRADIUS
> server so *it* can use PAM.  I'd rather have users sending their real
> passwords over a phone line than have them writing down their second
> password with their username and losing that paper, so PAM it is.
>
> Anyway, does anyone have a favorite how-to or similar on how to set up a
> redhat 8 box to do this (or any other flavor of linux, or even one of
> the BSDs)?  I'm finding a general lack of *current* info so far -
> probably because dial-ups generally suck...

Debian's pppd is PAM-aware.  If RH's is, libpam should show up in the
ldd output.

If you're PAM-aware, it's simple.  Just make sure /etc/pam.d/ppp matches
whatever your normal scheme is for user management, and set your users
to use PAP for PPP authentication.  If not, you'll have to rebuild pppd
with PAM support, but that shouldn't be hard.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>