Re: Apt for RPM question, blocking certain rpms

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 14:57, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2003, Jeff Licquia wrote:
>
> > Check the documentation section of the apt package.  On Debian, there's
> > a file called "configure-index" in there that contains a description of
> > every possible option you can pass to apt.conf.
>
> On the rpm-ized version that I have this file is at:
>
> /usr/share/doc/apt-0.5.5cnc6/examples/configure-index
>
> unless it happens to be a machine that I have been using "--excludedocs",
> of course. But, like the man pages, this is the original debian
> documentation and does not include the options for the RPM section. The
> problem isn't with apt, but with the documentation in the RPMized package.
> I hate to be complaining about this, because the right response is "well
> then erich, fix the documentation!". So, I'm not complaining, just
> commenting.

Ugh.  Bad, bad.

You may be in luck in a short while though; I'm working on merging
apt-rpm and apt-debian, and updating the docs will be a requirement.

> I like the information on Pinning, but don't have it worked out yet. I can
> see that it would be worthwhile if I was, for example, maintaining a
> machine in which I would like the offical updates to come from one site
> (ftp.silug.org/pub/apt/), but I like the audio-centric packages comming
> from http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt, and the quick
> updating of mozilla and blender rpms (for example) from http://apt.sw.be.

Yup.  All you need is to keep all your custom RPMs in your own apt repo,
and you're all the way there.

Tools for apt-rpm are supposedly available at apt4rpm.sourceforge.net.
To use the fancy pinning features, you'll need to write a Releases file
that contains things like the Origin, but that's not hard, and you only
need to do it once.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>