Re: Oracle DBD and 9i on Redhat

> > For the DBD part, all you need is the SQL*Net client libs installed.
> hehe do you happen to have a tar file with those so i can just bypass most
> of the migrain of getting oracle setup.

Hehe. Did you read the DBD::Oracle README files? *ahem*

> 1 IDE disk, 40 gig, on an athlon 2800+ single proc

OK. Then anyone capable of installing Oracle Lite should be able to get that job
done. In fact, you've probably already got the Oracle part running.

> Oracle DBD not building from within the CPAN interface
> but if you pulled it down and compiled manually it worked,

Yes. There are some tests after it builds to actually use the module before the
make tells you that it was successful and it's ok to install it. This is quite
in contrast to much of the other free libraries provided by other languages.
They don't come with built-in regression tests prior to install. *cough* Java
*cough* Python *cough* PHP *cough* Ruby *cough*. Not to mention any names,
though, but they're the languages whose evangelists are always slagging on Perl
and then incorporating features ripped off from Perl and calling them
"innovation" and noting how those features make them so much superior to such
tired, old, "legacy", "scripting", '90s languages like ... Perl. JavaDoc?
*cough* POD *cough*. Regular Expressions? Heck they even *say* they're Perl
regular expressions (but not the really useful extended ones, usually). And PHP
is pretty much Perl-with-training-wheels to begin with...

But I digress... :=)

> I've found a dozen or so install guides specifically for RH/Fedora
> that have me change enviromental variables and rename standard executables
> because Oracle hard codes the names and paths of the executables it needs.

I hope you're using symbolic links extensively to solve this instead of renaming
stuff.

It's probably looking for stuff in either the LFS base locations (which RH is
notorious for "going it alone" on) or in what would be SVR4 locations if Linux
were a SVR4 system, which it's not. As for the RH remark, ... Quick, where is
your Apache httpd.conf file?

And as for the /var and /opt wars, well, that'll never be resolved. Repeat after
me: Symbolic links are your friends.

Mike/