Re: RedHat Enterprise Linux Errata

Carlos Pintura wrote:
> Hello,
> I know that RedHat at times chooses to patch their existing source
> code for applications keeping the application revision level the same
> and incrementing what I would call their internal/proprietary revision
> number. I believe that a major flaw found in OpenSSH was handled this
> way...
> Getting to my specific scenario, I have a RHEL 3ES machine running the
> latest RPMs available from RedHat for this OS, however Apache seems to
> be at httpd-2.0.46-44 and php, at php-4.3.2-19. Looking on each
> project's website, I see Apache is at 2.0.53 for stable and PHP
> 4.3.10.
> Is there a method available on the Redhat website for understanding
> whether or not their RPMs incorporate changes held in these seemingly
> more recent releases?

First off, you can get on countless Red Hat announcement lists without
being a RHN subscriber.

Secondly, you can always use up2date to fetch the .src.rpm and look at
the file lists as Red Hat *always* takes a base tarball from the project
and then adds its own patchfiles/tarballs.
E.g., rpm -qpl somepkg-ver-rev.src.rpm
somepkg-ver.tar.gz
patch-ver-something.gz
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org