slocate

Hi --

Got an annoyance I'd like some help with.  Every evening when I log into
my workstation, my hard disk spins back up as the system wakes back up.
Almost immediately the system slows to a crawl as something called
slocate starts running.  Apparently it doesn't run when the CPU is
suspended, as is the case when power management kicks on.

I found a cron job called slocate.cron which has this in it:

#!/bin/sh

NETMOUNTS=`mount -t nfs,smbfs,ncpfs | cut -d ' ' -f 3`
NETPATHS=`echo $NETMOUNTS | sed -e 's| |,|g'`

if [ -n "$NETPATHS" ]; then
  /usr/bin/slocate -u -e
"$NETPATHS,/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net,/proc"
else
  /usr/bin/slocate -u -e "/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net,/proc"
fi
~

Can anyone tell me what exactly this does?  How can I turn off this job,
since I don't know how it got started to begin with?  Do I need this to
run every day like this?

TIA,
derek

   ---   /       derek.wickersham              / /
  ---   /       shamrock@mtco.com             / /____
 ---   /       www.mtco.com/~shamrock        / /    /