Re: slocate

On 19 July 1999, DMW wrote:
>> Got an annoyance I'd like some help with.  Every evening when I log
>> into my workstation, my hard disk spins back up as the system wakes
>> back up.  Almost immediately the system slows to a crawl as
>> something called slocate starts running. [...] I found a cron job
>> called slocate.cron which has this in it [...]

Same day, John Corey replied:
> It is a program for locating files quickly and easily.  That
> slocate.cron was probably in something like /etc/cron.daily,
> in which it gets run sometime during the night and builds the
> database of all the files on your system [...] But it shouldn't
> be running every time you log on, unless you mean when you boot
> into Linux.  There may be some code in the startup scripts to
> run once on bootup, but then you'd have to hunt down in
> /etc/rc.d for the file that calls it...

I experienced very similar symptoms from a cron job working on the
man page database.  Months would pass with no trouble. Then one day,
whammo, it would wedge my 233 so bad the mouse pointer would slow
to occasional jumps across the screen, sometimes locking completely.
Then it would be a regularly scheduled event for the next few days.

It might have little to do with when you log on--you might be logging
on at vaguely the same *time* each evening.