Re: DHCP

Benjamin Story wrote:

> Is there a way for DHCP to assign a hostname to a machine for a specific
> IP address as it hands them out or for DHCP to assign an IP to a
> hostname (not a hardware address)?

I'm not sure if ISC"s dhcpd can send out the hostname, but it wouldn't
be too hard for a client to accept it if it did (or was hacked to)
return that.  It just requires the hostname command.  But, Windows boxes
require rebooting for hostname changes, so that's a big headache.

What I have here at home is dhcpd set up to allow any new computers, but
it sends off the hostname the client reports it has to BIND with a
DYNDNS hack from dhcpd's mail list.  So I can just plug in any new box
to my hub, and just like magic it gets it's hostname and IP all matched
up.