Re: DHCP

John Corey wrote:
> Benjamin Story wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way for DHCP to assign a hostname to a machine for a specific
> > IP address as it hands them out or for DHCP to assign an IP to a
> > hostname (not a hardware address)?
>
> I'm not sure if ISC"s dhcpd can send out the hostname, but it wouldn't
> be too hard for a client to accept it if it did (or was hacked to)
> return that.  It just requires the hostname command.  But, Windows boxes
> require rebooting for hostname changes, so that's a big headache.

Actually, if you get the hostname before windows networking is started, it
can be changed without another reboot.  I've done a little with windows
scripting host writing reg keys on boot that we use in some of the labs
after they've been rei-maged.  I don't see why there couldn't be a little
tweaking to get bootp-like functionality in there (except that once again,
I don't immediately know how).