Re: Ultra DMA woes

Erich Schroeder wrote:

> Hi,
>   I just got in my new work desktop machine and am having problems
> installing RH6.0. This machine has 13gb IBM ultra DMA 66 disk hooked up to
> a Promise Technologies ultra66 card. I've tried following the instructions
> in the Ultra-DMA-miniHOWTO, and this seems to work to a point. At least
> passing the addresses of the disk to the kernel makes the disk visible to
> disk druid which can then do it's partition stuff. However I consistently
> get a "signal 11" error when the installer gets on to the step of setting
> up the swap space.

Don't you have enough RAM to get by the installer without swap space?  Just
leave a chunk unpartitioned, finish teh install, and then set up the swap
space later.  Perhaps that'll help...  :)

>   I've looked around, but wasn't able to find a distribution that supports
> this for installation. Am I missing something? Perhaps I should just not
> use the card until there is support. The Promise Technolgies web site says
> that there will be RedHat support Real Soon Now.

I've just got my ATA66 drives on teh 33 side until I can get a 2.3.x kernel
to compile - it's fine.  They're still pretty fast with DMA turned on
(12.6MB/sec), albeit at the expense fo CPU overhead - which SCSI would
avoid...

--Danny, not really helping much