pam_ldap / nss_ldap

Since NIS pretty much sucks for redundency and I wanna set up a redundent
system that's fast _and_ cool, I'm setting up LDAP-based authentication
using nss_ldap and pam_ldap.  Unfortunately, I don't know what in the heck
I'm doing. :)

Anyone succesfully set this up anywhere?  I've got the LDAP server working,
queries are sent to it, but I can't find user's names (well, pam and nss
can't, but ldapsearch can).  It's throwing up messages ranging from
 ldap_search_s Sizelimit exceeded
 User not known to teh underlying module
and a few random other things that I can't remember, I think.

I can succesfully log in as root (on the local system) so I know I haven't
broken _everything_... :)

Anyway, any hints would be real cool.

--Danny