sound programming

Speaking of not having any real questions to ask...

I'm looking into just writing my own mixer and signal-analyzer kind of
thing for my mobile mp3 project, since nothing around (that I've found) is
real easy to work into what I want.  Does anyone know of any descent
references on programming for sound devices under linux or for digital
signal processing in realtime, esp. focused on audio signals?  I can get
the sound device stuff partly from the kernel (only partly), but the DSP
stuff I can't find crap about.  Books would be even cooler...

Alternatively, if there's any cool sound processing programs for linux that
exist in very-well-commented source form, I'd much appreciate links there
too... :)

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to make the device node to enable
the secondary audio output on an ESS1371 (or is it an ess1370?) -based
sound card?

--Danny, who will likely need something to replace his pansy-arse cyrix
POS\300 chip...