Re: MY COMPUTER WONT TALK TO ME

It is a combination of the SERIAL HOWTO, and the PPP HOWTO. One time I got
my machine to work right just using these two documents, but several times
after that I just couldn't get it to work. The problems comes from a
combination of the modem settings and getty. In my case I was also using
the information on US Robotics site on setting up external sportsters to
work with Linux.

My current machine works quite nicely after I set the jumpers back to
factory default, and installed hylafax following the directions in the
SUSE 6.2 manual, section 7.7.4. This is apparently using faxgetty, if then
the gettyargs are set to "-r -b -s %s %l" the modem will sense if it is a
fax or login request.

I'm doing my best not to mess much with it, as I've broken it before it is
is most confusing to get it back running. In my spare time I'm going to
put a little-old machine that will do nothing but act as a dial-up server.

Good luck in your trys. It's really cool when it works.

Erich

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Mike Gatton wrote:

> Howdy:
>         I want to be able to dial into my computer and view files from
> a remote location. I currently have diald setup to use ppp that allows
> me to access the outside world from my computer. What daemon do I need
> to have setup to answer INCOMMING calls? I assume that I will need to
> modify inetd's config file to either send mgetty to the appropriate
> port. Could someone that has done the deed before please give me a
> brief tutorial on the subject and/or point me to the appropriate
> HOW-TO? Thanks

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/staff/erich/erich.html