Re: xntp

charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:

> I have tried the peers request from ntpq and I get the following:
> ntpq> peers
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> disp
>  bernina-rz-fddi err.ee.ethz.ch   2 u  140 1024  177   166.32  2314572
> 15875.0
>  ytterby.gw.uiuc tick.usno.navy.  2 u  198 1024  377   105.41  2314159
> 15875.0
>
> I have nothing that is stating which, if any, is being looked to as a
> master. I am familiar with the meanings of the * + - symbols. They are
> just not showing up for my server.
> I am running:
>
> >rpm -qa | grep -i xntp
> xntp3-5.93-13
>
> Running tcpdump on udp 123 shows conversation going on between my machine
> and the remote. I am just not certain that anything is being received or
> if perhaps a key is needed between the two.
>
> I have:
>
> authenticate no
>
> in my /etc/ntp.conf, so I figured that it would not be an issue. Other
> than that statement, I only have a "server" statement with the ip
> addresses of the two machines listed with peers.

You've got a pretty big offset there.  I seem to recall seeing something
that said xntpd has a maximum correction factor.  Try running "ntpdate -s
bernina-rz-fddi" or some other ntp host, after you stop xntpd.  Then you'll
be in sync, and restarting xntpd might keep the clock in line.

As far as the ntp.conf, you've got teh same thing I do, except I've got
more servers listed, apperently...  Not to imply that should make any
difference.

BTW:
sauer@cloud120:/home/nfs/sauer > rpm -q xntp
xntp-3.5.93c-2