Re: migrating from i586 to ix86?

Cloudmaster said:
> Charles: you shouldn't have a problem
> if you're staying with the same family of processors, but like Kara said,
> moving from x86 to PPC or alpha will need new binaries (although config
> files shoudl generally be transferrable).  Then again, I've been known to
> just pull believable things from my arse before and post them as fact
> without verifying them, so beware... :)

No, really, it's no big deal to move from one x86 to another x86, at
least if x goes up in the process.  :-)  (Depending on how the kernel
was built, it might even work if x goes down.)

I just pulled the drives out of my last 486 still in service and put
them in a Pentium box two nights ago.  Other than the fact that the
kernel on the 486 was built without PCI support, everything was fine.
(Amazingly enough, it still booted, since the IDE was behind VLB, not
PCI.)  I then proceeded to do an upgrade from Red Hat 5.1 to Red Hat
6.2, which took care of the little kernel problem.

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month