Re: Debian and Slackware

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 07:05:58PM -0400, Jordan Bettis wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> >  - The single-CD Debian "slink-and-a-half" distro as distributed by VA
> > Linux in the pretty box.  Not as out of date as Official Debian, but
> > some of the software is a bit on the old side.
> [snip]
> > Let me know what you want.  I'll charge you $2 per disk.  Please let
> > me know ASAP if you want the potato disks; I'll actually have to build
> > the images for that before burning them.
>
> Yeah, that will be fine (the slink-and-a-half set) I'm ether going to use
> it for a masq proxy or a fileserver (I might use freeBSD for the proxy) so
> very current software is not a must (I won't even install X, and that
> seems to be the most volatile part of Linux right now).

Got it.  Slink-and-a-half it is.  Bring your $2 to tomorrow's
meeting.

> I still need the Slack disk (most likely Slackware 7) as I'm using it for
> a different project, a 386 laptop with no CD-ROM, so I need Slack style
> packages and floppy install. Ah well, My need for slack is not as pressing
> as my need for Debian, so I might just go ahead and buy it from
> cheapbytes.

FWIW, you can do floppy installs with Debian.  The nice thing is that
the base system (installed from the floppies) has all you need to get
a PPP connection running, which is all you need to install absolutely
anything you need.  Or, if you've got a network connection to a CD-ROM
or the Internet, you can use that.

It's actually technically possible to install Debian with two floppies
and an Internet connection (through modem or network).  I wouldn't
recommend it if you've only got a modem, though, unless you're only
installing a few packages more than the base.