ipchains

I just recently finished setting up ipchains on both a test server as well
as my home machine. I would like to get fairly strict for the server
platform, which should not be very difficult, however for home use I have
a question about what implications there would be by allowing free range
in and out for ports above 1024. I am running X, so I did add a deny for
any incoming packets to 6000:6063, but other than that, its pretty much
free game. I am not running nfs, however I do run gnapster and icqnix
which all use high ports for establishing sessions both as a client and
server. I could set up specific rulesets for each of these apps, but I was
curious to hear opinion on what ramifications there are from just allowing
ACCEPT in/out for >1024.

cjm