Re: Command Performance.

11 Apr 2000, Kara & Steven Pritchard wrote:
> I'll ask the obvious, is said path to said command in $PATH?
and
> Umm...  If it isn't in $PATH, why should it run?  Unix shells
> don't run stuff in the current directory unless "." is in $PATH
> (which is a security hole).  If you want to run foo in the current
> directory, do "./foo".

I was saying was that, for example, I have the program
foo in /mnt.  If my current directory is /home/bar,  I expect
the command line "foo" to return "command not found"
because /mnt is not in $PATH.  If foo were in /usr/bin,
it would be in $PATH and execute as described above.

Remaining in /home/bar I enter the command "/mnt/foo"
or, cd to /mnt then simply enter the command as "foo"--
Both of these approaches also return "command not found."

If that is correct behavior, I have the opposite kind of
problem with my fresh install of SuSE 6.4...