Broadband

I talked to my ISP (davesworld, out of bloomington) yesterday and he
(a sales rep) said that they would be offering ~760k down and 128k up DSL
in springield "around June - July" for $50/mo. It could be total bullshit
as he is a sales rep but, assuming it isn't, is that a good price? Another
intresting tidbit is that I asked him how much Ameritech charged and he
said that the $50 to them is the whole package. I'm assuming, therefore,
that they are laying the loops.  I don't know about installiation, I'll
call tomarrow and grill them for the inside story.

I don't like cable because I feel that it will eventually be hosed when
the mindless hoards attack it, and I don't like the security issues (I can
get over that, but being on a network with my neighbors with data bus topo
gives me the creeps, although none that I know of are intelligent enough
to fish for packets even if they wanted to be 31337 h4x0r d00dz).

Anyhow, if cable is significantly cheaper or has better bandwith, I'll go
with it. Can anyone here with cable give me their take on the service?

Thanks,

Jordan Bettis.
 "Damn it! Somebody spiked my coffee with water"  --Larry Wall