Re: Broadband

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 07:07:26PM -0400, Jordan Bettis wrote:

> I talked to my ISP (davesworld, out of bloomington) yesterday and he
> (a sales rep) said that they would be offering ~760k down and 128k up DSL
> in springield "around June - July" for $50/mo. It could be total bullshit
> as he is a sales rep but, assuming it isn't, is that a good price? Another
> intresting tidbit is that I asked him how much Ameritech charged and he
> said that the $50 to them is the whole package. I'm assuming, therefore,
> that they are laying the loops.  I don't know about installiation, I'll
> call tomarrow and grill them for the inside story.

Please report back.  I would be intensely interested.

> I don't like cable because I feel that it will eventually be hosed when
> the mindless hoards attack it, and I don't like the security issues (I can
> get over that, but being on a network with my neighbors with data bus topo
> gives me the creeps, although none that I know of are intelligent enough
> to fish for packets even if they wanted to be 31337 h4x0r d00dz).

Some of these issues are reported to be solved (or at least not as
bad) with PPPoE.  Then again, this being the Midwest, I'm sure PPPoE
won't make it this way for another few years, seeing as how it's
relatively new.

> Anyhow, if cable is significantly cheaper or has better bandwith, I'll go
> with it. Can anyone here with cable give me their take on the service?

Right this second (in Springfield, anyway), cable is going to kick
DSL's little butt all over the mat bandwidth-wise.  The problem, as
you say, is what happens when the service gets popular.  Got a
neighbor like me?  Too bad. :-)

Also, cable sucks because of the Acceptable Use Policies they
typically carry.  Because of the shared bandwidth issues, they
typically get really pissed whenever you do anything interesting, like
run Napster.  I saw that Cox, for example, charges extra for *upload*
bandwidth usage over a certain level (it strikes me that it was
250MB/month, but I could be wrong).

Also, cable sucks in this town because it's overhyped.

Also, cable sucks in this town because I can't get it yet.

Not that I'm bitter, or anything. :-)