Re: Broadband

On 24 Apr 2000, Steven Pritchard replied to Jeff Licquia:
>> Right this second (in Springfield, anyway), cable is going to
>> kickDSL's little butt all over the mat bandwidth-wise.  The
>> problem, as you say, is what happens when the service gets
>> popular.  Got a neighbor like me?  Too bad. :-)
>
> Are you really sure about that?  Honestly, how much high-
> bandwidth downloading do you really do?

You know better than that.  Give people the bandwidth,
they'll find a way to waste it...

But, maybe in a few years it'll take some effort doing:

"A team of U.S. researchers has created a device that
operates at less than one volt and is capable of converting
electric signals into optical transmissions at a rate of 100
gigabytes of information per second, according to a paper
published in the 7 April issue of Science."

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20000306175332data_trunc_sys.shtml