Re: Broadband

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 11:24:51AM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> I just realized that I'm coming off extremely pro-cable.  I should
> clarify a bit...

Yeah, sure.  Fess up!  Savvis is really a front for the AT&T Phone
Cartel Liberation Army, and you're planting your evil seeds of
sedition in the ranks of the faithful!

DEATH TO THE FASCIST BANDWIDTH HOARDERS AND THEIR EVIL CABLE EMPIRE!

(oops, sorry.  I'll go take my medicine now. :-)

> First, from my limited experience with cable and
> DSL, it seems like the cheap DSL providers are doing more stupid stuff
> than the cable providers.
>
> That said, I do think that the more expensive DSL (SDSL instead of ADSL)
> has the potential to be a much better service if it isn't
> oversubscribed to death.

Why?  Do you see this as a function of ADSL, or just the fact that it
lends itself well to the purposes of sucky ISPs?

> It sounds like most of us have only one or the other available right
> now, so it's really a moot point.  Both are infinitely better than
> dial-up, even ISDN dial-up.

Don't rub it in, Mr. We're-Getting-A-T1-For-Peanuts. :-)

Seriously, I was on IRC last night, and one of the Debianites said
something along the lines of "I hate all you Americans who take 150k/s
for granted."  Welcome to America, where bandwidth flows like water in
the streets.